Re: trouble building octave

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: trouble building octave
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:02:18 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Jordi GutiƩrrez Hermoso wrote:

< On 9 September 2010 10:05, Leo Butler <address@hidden> wrote:
< > Is this error being caused by (an out-of-date) git and the bootstrap
< > script assumes something about git that it should check for?
<
< [snip]
<
< > ./bootstrap: Bootstrapping from checked-out octave sources...
< > ./bootstrap: getting gnulib files...
< > fatal: cannot copy /usr/share/git-core/templates/info/exclude to
< > /home/lbutler/octave/sandbox/octave/gnulib/.git/info/exclude
< > address@hidden git --version
< > git version 1.5.6.5
<
< That's odd. Does the source exist? Is the destination writable? It may
< be a git misconfiguration. I am guessing that the "git submodule"
< command is failing. Can you check if "git submodule init" works by
< itself?

No, it does not. The source did exist, but I removed the gnulib package
(debian) after some investigation. I believe that if the source does not
exist, then git should fetch the gnulib package -- at least that is
what the accompanying notes seem to say.

What is particularly odd is that I have built octave from the dev
sources on this same machine with the same configuration (modulo
updates).

Leo
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.