Re: Swig works (Re: Octave and databases)

From: Xavier Delacour
Subject: Re: Swig works (Re: Octave and databases)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 14:43:01 -0700

2010/9/8 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>:
> On 8 September 2010 16:00, Xavier Delacour <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Using mex would be advantageous because the mex interface is more
>> simple/stable/static and better documented, and because it would allow
>> swig-generated wrappers to work with matlab.
>
> I have no idea what I'm talking about, so take my question with a
> grain of salt, but are there any licensing issues to take into account
> here, e.g. GPL linking?

I think in the present situation the swig wrapper uses internal octave
APIs and is therefore covered by the GPL.

In the hypothetical world where swig generates wrappers that use only
the mex api, swig output would be free of the GPL (modulo packaging
and single-work issues referenced in jwe reply). The default license
for swig output is equal or less restrictive than BSD.

Xavier