Re: Octave and databases

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: Octave and databases
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 19:08:24 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 1. September 2010, 18:41:06 schrieb fork:
> Martin Helm <martin <at> mhelm.de> writes:
> > > And heavy and computing-intensive.
> > >
> > > Pascal
> >
> > Not at all, database access via java is as performant as access via
> > native libraries.
>
> I think a lot of people (myself included) view java as a redundant
> dependency with licensing problems -- a headache with very little payoff.
> That is another debate altogether, but I think it is important to have a
> non-java solution to database problems.  For me, it is a combination of
> system() and sed, but that isn't exactly graceful either.

That is a valid point and my intention is not to start here an discussion
about the benefits and drawbacks in using java or not. Btw openjdk should not
have any license issue (other than oracle/sun java).
I just want to point at one possible (and in my opinion very easy ) solution.
Starting a script for data retrieval is also not a bad idea, it depends all on
the use case.
It can even be a good idea to simply write an oct file which interfaces a
native lib for database access (but is more work probably for the programmer
than compiling a java class).

Is there a good place where such simple howto's can be documented (in the
wiki?) with code examples? I am more than willing to provide some examples,
and I guess others like you can also provide examples for script access and
other alternatives.
It will for sure help some people to have working examples for real world
problems like data access and they can pick what looks most suitable for them.

- Martin