Re: What editor to use in combination with octave?

From: Marius Roets
Subject: Re: What editor to use in combination with octave?
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 19:37:10 +0200

> > It should be easy to integrate any text editor that supports macros, on
> Linux using the screen application. If anybody is interested, and can show
> how I did this for Vim (my editor of choice). I have integrated it in such a
> way that I can run portions of code, or the whole file. I use KDE, but none
> of the ideas is KDE specific.
>
> Marius

I am also a vim user and would very much like to hear about the way you
integrated it.
Thanks, Avraham
--
Please avoid sending Excel or Powerpoint attachments to this address.

I have created a vim script called screen-send.vim with the following content :
let s:cmd = "!screen -x ".b:screen_send_screen_name." -X stuff"

function! SendFile()
   let dir = getcwd()
   let l = "cd ".dir
   call SendLine(l)
   call SendLine(b:screen_execute_cmd)
endfunction

function! SendCurrentLine()
   call SendLine(getline("."))
endfunction

function! SendLine(l)
   let cmd = s:cmd." $'".a:l."\\n'"
   execute cmd
endfunction

function! SendCurrentBlock()
   let lines = getline("v", ".")
   for l in lines
      call SendLine(l)
   endfor
endfunction

nnoremap <S-F9> :call SendCurrentLine()<cr><cr>
vnoremap <S-F9> :call SendCurrentBlock()<cr><cr>

And a file called octave.vim with :
" Sending file content to screen session
let b:screen_send_screen_name = "octave"
let b:screen_execute_cmd = expand("%:t:r")
source ~/.vim/after/ftplugin/screen-send.vim

Both go in ~/.vim/after/ftplugin

Then in a terminal, I start a screen session :
> screen -s /usr/bin/octave -S octave

Back in Vim, Shift-F9 will send the current line or highlighted text (depending on normal or visual mode) to the screen session. F9 will send the entire file.
I usually have the terminal with the screen session and Vim open side by side, so that I can immediately see the effect of my code. I use the same method for Python and other interactive sessions.

I have hacked this together from examples, so for instance, I'm not sure what the significance of the "stuff" word is, but it seems to not work without it.

Regards
Marius