Re: Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) for octave?

From: c.
Subject: Re: Adaptive Simulated Annealing (ASA) for octave?
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:38:51 +0200

On 26 Aug 2010, at 15:27, John W. Eaton wrote:

Among other conflicts with the GPL, there is the following statement:

 In general, I have retained all rights such as copyrights to these
 codes and files, but they may be freely used by any person or group
 independent of affiliations, e.g., independent of academic or
 commercial affiliation.

Huh? Is there anyone who is allowed to freely use this code? How many
of us are actually independent of academic or commercial affiliation?
Or am I completely misunderstanding the intent here?

It sounds like that statement is just badly phrased,
I believe the author meant something like

"I retain the copyright for this code, but it can be freely used by anyone"

the rest of the text is most likely just intended to specify that no restrictions to commercial use apply, anyway, I would ask the author to clarify this statement before spending any time trying to port the code to Octave.

jwe

c.