Re: temporary files not deleted after exit

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: temporary files not deleted after exit
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:12:02 +0200

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM, Muhali <address@hidden> wrote:

> According to octave-info:
>
> "When Octave exits all temporary files will be deleted, so this step need
> not be executed manually."

This applies to files created by tmpfile() and other temporary files
that Octave may use internally.

> I would assume that a temporary file created as follows
>
> octave> a = pi ;
> octave> save(tmpnam, "a") ;
>
> would be deleted after exiting, but it is not. Am I misunderstanding
> something?
>
> M.

Just think about it. tmpnam produces a name (string), not a file
handle. Octave does not remember how a string was created (you could
well enter the same name manually) and hence there is absolutely no
reason to think this should be a temporary file.

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer