RE: (jhandles instal lation can´t find ja va) Implementation o f "uicont

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: RE: (jhandles instal lation can´t find ja va) Implementation o f "uicontrol" for la test Octave?
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:39:58 +0000

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Re: (newer Java package needed?) Implementation of "uicontrol" for latest Octave?
> Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:18:28 +0200
> CC: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Am Freitag, 20. August 2010, 18:39:09 schrieb Pen-Yuan Hsing:

> > > This message does not mean that you need a newer java package (java
> > > packgae version 1.5 does not exist), but that the configure is not able
> > > to interpret the java version string 1.6.0_20 and therefore does not
> > > recognize that you have already java version>= 1.5 installed.
> > > Unfortuneately I cannot tell you how to solve that because I have no mac
> > > and on my system this did not happen, so I cannot reproduce that.
> > > Hopefully one of the mac users will know a solution.
> > >
> > > - mh
> >
> > Just to experiment, I tried to do this in my Ubuntu virtual machine and
> > got the say error message saying "Java support not compiled" (even
> > though I installed the java package from Octave Forge). Does anyone have
> > experience in this regard?
>
> You need to check if the environment variable JAVA_HOME is set correctly and
> there was one nasty trick that jhandles expect a client folder instead of a
> server folder in the java installation at the right place.
>
> It is in the folder /usr/lib64/jvm/jre/lib/amd64 on opensuse 64 bit.
> Just make a symbolic link named client in that folder (but check before the
> folder can be different on ubuntu) which points to server.
>
> If it tells you that it cannot find jogl make sure yiu have jogl installed.
>
> I hope there was nothing else which I forgot now.
>
> - mh

Still doesn work. Here is what I did.

1. Made a symbolic link so that :

/usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/amd64/client

points to where my actual libjvm.so is, which is

/usr/lib/jvm/default-java/jre/lib/amd64/server

2. Set JAVA_HOME so that:

$JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/jre/lib/amd64/client

3. Successfully installed the java package from Octave Forge.

4. Tried to install jhandles, but got the following:

¨error: package java is not installed
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 2005, column 4
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 301, column 7
make: *** [all] Error 255
'make' returned the following error: make: Entering directory `/tmp/oct-oLS2yz/jhandles-0.3.5/src'
Java support not compiled
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/oct-oLS2yz/jhandles-0.3.5/src'
error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1253, column 2
error: called from:
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 714, column 5
error:   /usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 287, column 7¨

Is there anything else that I could try? Again I am trying this in my Ubuntu 10.04 virtual machine, with the following:

java -version

java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.1) (6b18-1.8.1-0ubuntu1)

javac -version

javac 1.6.0_18

Octave 3.2 packagae from Ubuntu repository, installed with default settings