Re: Is this a numerical problem?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Is this a numerical problem?
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:04:33 -0500

On 19 August 2010 09:38, George Barrick <address@hidden> wrote:

> May I suggest that you cut the guy some slack? Lukas, that is. You
> should not be telling him to submit a bug report, because the
> phenomenon that he is describing is not a bug. If you're telling him
> to submit because his bug report will be ignored; OK.

I don't think that's the intent at all. While it's common for
neophytes to be uncomfortable with the vagaries of IEEE 754
arithmetic, there is quite possibly at least a cosmetic bug here in
how Octave is representing a number, namely, it doesn't display the
same thing Matlab does. I do believe current trend is to consider most
Matlab incompatibilities as bugs. It's a question of output, not an
actual functionality bug.