Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

From: Michael Goffioul
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:20:41 +0100

There has been a lot of confusion in this thread. The GPL violation I
mentioned was not against jhandles, but against the Windows binary
package I used to provide. Those MSVC-compiled binaries contained a
working version of jhandles. When I mention the GPL issue, I was
specifically referring to the Windows binaries.

Now, concerning jhandles itself, it has been written whene there was
no graphics code in octave. It implemented its own modules (property
system, rendering, windowing) entirely in java. A large part of this
is now natively available in octave (for instance the OpenGL rendering
in octave is actually a rewrite of jhandles rendering in C++), making
their jhandles equivalent obsolete. Jhandles has grown unmaintained,
because I spent my time (re)implementing the graphics code in octave
rather than keeping it up to date. So the bottom line is: current
jhandles implementation is not suited for current octave code.

I think there's still room for a java-based backend, but it should be
rewritten as a thin wrapper on top of octave, making use of octave
tools (like the OpenGL renderer). I wrote some experimental code a
long time ago, using that idea. I could pass it on if anybody is
interested. While keeping the current implementation is theoretically
possible, it doesn't really make sense as a large part is redundant
with octave's code.

Concerning printing jhandles plot, I think your best chance at the
moment would be to make the figure background white, then use your
favorite screenshot tool to take a snapshot of the figure content.
It's better than nothing... Jhandles used to be able to print figures
to png, but I'm not sure it's still working.

Michael.