Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Trouble with jhandles--installation issue?
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 20:11:22 +0200

Am Dienstag, 10. August 2010 19:44:15 schrieb Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso:
> 2010/8/10 Judd Storrs <address@hidden>:
> > 2010/8/10 Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden>
> >
> >> I just noticed that there is a packaging request for Debian for
> >> jhandles, and I *did* mean to get around to it.
> >>
> >> Is it impossible to work around the GPL issue? Is there any code that
> >> could be rewritten?
> >
> > [...] it apparently boils down to the fact that Microsoft
> > doesn't ship the C++ standard library as part of a standard Windows
> > install.
>
> Okay... I presume it must be using some JNI?
>
> > Basically, what appears to be necessary is getting these packages to
> > compile/work using the newer mingw port that replaced the MSVC port.
>
> I am a bit confused. Was jhandles Windows-only software? Perhaps I
> should close the Debian packaging request, in that case.

Hello,

just to give you some feedback. Jhandles is not windows only. It is java based
and uses the library jogl (java opengl bindings) which is also available for
many platforms (including linux of course). And yes the binding to the native
libs for opengl is done via jni.
I compiled the jhandles package (and also used it) several times on my
opensuse PC and my opensuse laptop with version 3.0 and recently with 3.2.4 (I
did not yet try it with the 3.3.52 tarball or the development version but can
give you feedback for the 3.3.52 in a few days).
It works with 3.2.4 on opensuse 11.2 64 bit but I did not do much testing just
started some of my scripts to see if it behaves as it should.

So it should definitely compile and run on debian and it should be simpler
than on suse I guess.

- mh