Re: Y value on Bar Graph

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: Y value on Bar Graph
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 07:24:33 -0400

On Aug 3, 2010, at 12:02 AM, Manoj Deshpande wrote:

>> On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM, bpabbott <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On 02 Aug, 2010,at 02:08 PM, Manoj Deshpande <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2472052/y-value-on-bar-graph-in-gnuplot
>>>
>>> I am trying to get the above functionality on octave, is there a way via
>>> system to call  gnuplot directly, and get this going ? or is there an
>>> equivalent in octave itself ?
>>> Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Manoj
>>
>> Please take a look at the text() function.
>>
>>     help text
>>
>> This function will allow you to place labels above the bars.
>>
>> Ben
>
>  Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks for replying,  i tried text, but it messes up the graph. Please take a
> look at the images attached to this email.
>
> 141     bar(frequency);
> 142     set(gca,'XTick',[1:7]);
> 143     set(gca,'xticklabel',bins);
>
> AFTER USING TEXT
>
> 141     bar(frequency);
> 142     set(gca,'XTick',[1:7]);
> 143     set(gca,'xticklabel',bins);
> 144     text(50,50,"testing");
>
> Any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks,
> Manoj

Notice in lines 142-143 of your script, the x-axis ticklabels are places at the
positions 1:7 = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7.  The labels are "5", "17", "23", "41",
"53", "59", & "65".

Thus, Andy is correct. The position of the text objects you want to add need to
correspond to the bin positions (xtick) not the labels (xticklabels).

Ben

p.s. please respond at the bottom of the so that those arriving late can real
and long.