Re: Practice Octave online on any website.

From: Warren Henning
Subject: Re: Practice Octave online on any website.
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 15:43:13 -0700

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Sergei Steshenko <address@hidden> wrote:
> I doubt you'll find. Allowing to run Octave remotely means allowing to
> grind the server to a halt - imagine one calls Octave in a manner which
> requires too much memory, or on calls 'system' from Octave and does what
> he/she likes within the limits of his/her user ID privileges.

Incorrect. As other websites for general purpose languages like Ruby (
http://tryruby.org/ ) and Scala ( http://www.simplyscala.com/ ) show,
you just place the process in a resource-limited jail where people
can't do things like system("rm -rf /").

A "Try Octave" website sounds like a fun project to do.

Warren