Re: octave video/avi crashes - anybody have similar experience?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: octave video/avi crashes - anybody have similar experience?
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:54:51 -0500

2010/8/1 Kenneth Johnson <address@hidden>

> I just installed the video package and that was all so if there is
> another component needed i didn't install it.

Alright, how did you install it? Did you do pkg install inside Octave
and it worked without a hitch? If so, you already have some version of
ffmpeg installed. Did you use a package manager instead? If so, which
one? What operating system are you using?

> How would I check this?

It depends on your operating system. On a Unix-like system, /usr/lib
or perhaps /usr/local/lib or perhaps /opt/somethingsomething on Mac OS
X should have something like libavutil.so; see if you can figure out
how that file got there.

I have no idea where it would be found on a Microsoft OS.

> As for c++ yes I've done alot but I haven't set up a compiler and
> build capability and not sure I have the time to do this - but I
> need the capability enough that I might.

That's good news. I'm trying to compile the video package myself and
already have problems with that alone. I'm using an svn checkout of
ffmpeg from 2010-06-03, so perhaps I should try with another revision
(and I really wish ffmpeg would get around to doing releases instead
of only making their svn repo available).

I'll consider spending more time getting the video package working,
but I already have several other Octave-related projects that are
crowding for my attention.

> What do I need to get to do this if I decide to go this route?

Well, you will need a development environment set up, probably some
version of gcc, since I expect it would be a signifcant amount of work
to setup a Microsoft compiler to compile the necessary things.

> Also - you mentioned the core dump - do I submit this somewhere?

If it's small after zipping it (under 100 kB, I think) you can just
post it on this mailing list. If it's large... you remind me about
another project I'm working on which I will refrain from advertising
this time, but perhaps you can use a file sharing site. I am not sure
if the core dump will have a stack trace, but it may have other things
that could be useful to debug the segfault.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.