pushd and popd for octave?

From: fork
Subject: pushd and popd for octave?
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:27:00 +0000 (UTC)

Are there equivalents to the bash shell commands 'pushd' and 'popd' in Octave?

There is an M* file in file exchange, except it relies on ispref() and other
incompatible functions, so it won't work.

If I have to roll my own, I think I will need to use a global variable
("DIRSTACK") to save the directory names.  Any thoughts on better ways to
maintain state between calls?  I can't use a persistent variable since there are
two functions (popd() and pushd()) that need to access.