Re: isstr is obsolete

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: isstr is obsolete
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 22:58:06 -0500

Hi. Please try to avoid sending HTML emails next time. I see you're
using Gmail, so just click on the "plain text" option before sending.
It's an old email convention many of us still like.

On 20 July 2010 21:30, Mike G <address@hidden> wrote:
> It talks about a graphical interface – does it describe the graphical
> interface, where to get it, and how to use it later in the manual?

No, it doesn't describe a graphical interface, at least, probably not
in the sense you're thinking of. It only talks about how to produce
graphs and plots with Octave.

However, If white text on black background offends your aesthetic
sensibilities, you might enjoy QtOctave, among other options:

     http://qtoctave.wordpress.com/what-is-qtoctave/

> octave:15> plot (t, x)
>
> warning: isstr is obsolete and will be removed from a future version of
> Octave,
>
> please use ischar instead
>
> octave:16>
>
> So, how do I use the different function called by plot? Do I have to do an
> edit, then recompile Octave?

This sounds like the oct2mat problem. Tatsuro has provided a link that
should help you work around this issue.