Re: Read the number of cpus on Linux

From: Francesco Potortì
Subject: Re: Read the number of cpus on Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 21:23:18 +0200

>> When using parcellfun, I want to know the number of processors
>> beforehand.
>>
>> This is the simplest way I have come up with on Linux:
>>  pid=fopen("/proc/cpuinfo");
>>  numprocs = length(strfind(char(fread(pid)'),"processor"));
>>  fclose(pid);
>
>If you have GNU coreutils 8.1 or later, you can do
>     [err,numprocs] = system("nproc")

Isn't this less efficient, systemwise?  It forks and then execs a
process, twice, even if it is probably not worth worrying.

Wouldn't it be nice to have this inside Octave as a builtin function?

Or as an additional return value from computer()?

Or as an additional field in the struct returned by uname()?

--
Francesco Potortì (ricercatore)        Voice: +39 050 315 3058 (op.2111)
ISTI - Area della ricerca CNR          Fax:   +39 050 315 2040