SOUND function and Macs

From: Cary Martin
Subject: SOUND function and Macs
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:23:13 -0600

Hello - I'm attempting to do some basic exploration of sound waveform
analysis and manipulation using Octave and the Audio package. I
apologize for such a newbie/ignorant question but if someone could
please provide some assistance in configuring Octave and whatever
external utilities are required to play sound files from Octave under
Mac OsX 10.6.4 I would be greatly appreciative. I'm somewhat well
versed in many of the basics of Octave but it is completely unclear to
me what a pipe is in this context and how I am to establish the links
to the external utilities (and to which ones). Anyway, when attempting
to output a waveform to the speakers using this command

octave-3.2.2:10> sound(x,fs)

This response is received:

ssh: connect to host machine-mac-mini.local port 22: Connection refused
warning: broken pipe -- some output may be lost

Can someone please point me in the right direction? It seemed that SoX
is required so I've put in on my machine but I suspect that I'm
missing something critical - can anyone help out?

thanks-
Cary