Re: how to set graphics backend

From: Martin Helm
Subject: Re: how to set graphics backend
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:55:25 +0200

Am Dienstag, 13. Juli 2010 19:19:08 schrieb Qianqian Fang:
> hi
>
> I am curious to learn how to set a graphics backend
> in octave. The default "gnuplot" gives me very poor
> image quality and slow speed when plotting triangular
> mesh/surfaces/patch objects. I want to play with a
> few alternatives. I found plplot, and installed it on
> my Ubuntu box, but running backend ('plplot') gave
> me an error. No documentation was found that can get
> me around.
>
> Any other backends are good for surface/mesh plotting?
> I remember jhandles is another backend, but could not
> find installation instructions.
>
> please help, thanks
>
> Qianqian

The backend command is only for gnuplot and fltk (the official builtin
backends). For third party plot libraries like plplot, jhandles and so on
every such package has its own way to become active or inactive.

For example if you have installed jhandles you enable it with

pkg load jhandles

I do not know if the following is still true for plplot-octave, but a long
time ago the command to enable/disable it was:

toggle_plplot_use

at the octave prompt.

- mh