Re: tex interpreter not working properly in linux

From: Vergil Weatherford
Subject: Re: tex interpreter not working properly in linux
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:22:44 -0400

*bump*

Has anyone seen this problem or have any ideas I could try?

Thanks,
Vergil

Vergil Weatherford
MS Candidate
Building Systems Engineering
University of Colorado - Boulder, USA

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Vergil Weatherford <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I recently switched to using Octave 3.2.3 in Ubuntu 10.04 from using Octave 3.2.4 in windows (with the windows binary installer).  Unfortunately, now my plots don't format like they should.  When I used the command:

ylabel('Temperature \circ C')

to set the y label on my plot, at first I got the following error:

gdImageStringFT: Could not find/open font while printing string &#xb0; with font Symbol.

...and nothing would print where the ylabel should be.  I searched the forums, and found a helpful post from back in 2008 by "Dave T-2" about fixing font issues and so I copied 'Symbol.ttf' to my truetype fonts folder (/usr/share/fonts/truetype).  And set the font path in the terminal using:

export GDFONTPATH="/usr/share/fonts/truetype/"

Now, I get the following error:

No character set found while printing string &#xb0; with font Symbol

and the ylabel shows up on the plot written in all greek letters.  The '\circ' correctly makes a degree symbol, but everything else is greek.  Also, using

xlabel('{\it Altitude}')

Doesn't make the label 'Altitude' show up as slant text, it simply prints on the plot as:

'-italic Altitude'

Do these problems mean something is wrong with the tex interpreter?  Do I still have some problems with my fonts?  Is this a bug with Octave 3.2.3?  Any suggestions you have I am willing to try.

I also wanted to note that when I try to print the plot to .png, no text shows up for the ylabel (where it was all in greek on the popup window plot).  It does, however, display '-italic Altitude' for the x-label.

Thanks for taking  a look.

Best,