Re: help with compiling octave-3.3.51

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: help with compiling octave-3.3.51
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:55:20 -0500

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Charles Yee <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Dmitri,
>
> What do you mean by "high optimization"?
> Would you suggest that I try compiling an older version of lapack and blas?

Please refer to the bugzilla report I sent earlier. There are few
files in lapack/blas that has to
be compiled with -0 flag. This is the default level of optimization
for Octave's fortran code
so when you used an older octave that included lapack sources, they
got compiled
correctly. RedHat compiles everything with -O2. That broke lapack/blas
quite some
time ago, but instead of using -O RedHat people decided to be greedy and used
-O1 and -Os instead... (see spec file for redhat's lapack rpm). It
worked for a while
until a recent gcc got more aggressive with optimization and start producing
bad binaries again. One way of fixing it is to get lapack source rpms, and
hack spec files so that all "-O1" and "-Os" are changed to "-O".

Dmitri.