Re: Matlab vs Octave

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Matlab vs Octave
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 11:22:12 +0200

On 2. Jul 2010, at 1:55, address@hidden wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 14:15:22 +0200
> From: "Frese, Karsten" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Matlab vs Octave
> To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>
>
> Dear octave support,
>
> can I modify a programme code compiled in matlab (mcr 7.9) easily with octave?
>

> Freundliche Gr??e/Kind regards
> Karsten Frese
> Leiter/Head of
> Middle Office LNG Short Term Supply
> T +49 2 01-1 84-7977
> F +49 2 01-1 84-24 7977
> M +49 1 51-1 20 51 049
> address@hidden
> E.ON Ruhrgas AG
> Huttropstra?e 60
> 45138 Essen
> http://www.eon-ruhrgas.com/
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats/Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Dr. Wulf H.
> Bernotat Vorstand/Board of Management: Dr. Bernhard Reutersberg
> (Vorsitzender/Chairman) Henning R. Deters Armin Gei? Dr. Friedrich Janssen
> Jochen Weise E.ON Ruhrgas AG Sitz/Registered Office: Essen
> Amtsgericht/Registry Court: Essen HRB 83

Dear Karsten

The previous responses to your question already mentioned a few things that
were not completely clear about your inquiry. Since the footer of your message
seems to imply that you're a business person rather than a computer whizz I
suspect you maybe just want to run some Matlab code in Octave, and you're
asking if and how this is possible. If this is what your're after, then Octave
is certainly for you. Octave is highly compatible with Matlab, and many Matlab
programs (scripts, functions) run in Octave without any modification at all.
Those programs that don't run out of the box usually only require trivial
changes to make them work as intended.

Matthias

----
Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364 17 03