Re: Octave Capability / Control Mach3 System

From: Przemek Klosowski
Subject: Re: Octave Capability / Control Mach3 System
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:25:47 -0400

On 07/01/2010 05:36 AM, Rian Lauwrens wrote:
Hi

I see I will only be able to run EMC2 on Linux. Is there not maybe a
Windows compatible version?

No, EMC uses Real Time Linux kernel modifications, so you can't run it on Windows. Does it matter though? I assumed you will have a computer running the CNC software (call it part A) and driving the Geckos and the hardware (part B), and you want to talk to that computer from Octave running on another machine (part C). If you went with Linux/EMC for A, your C could be anything (windows or linux); note that as a special case, you could be running Octave alongside EMC on A. I don't know how it works with Mach3 on Windows---can you run Octave on the same computer where you run Mach3? If the answer is yes, then you just need to figure out how to send commands from another program to Mach3, which Mach3 people should be able to answer.

I am copying it to help-octave because maybe people there have better ideas about inter-process communication on Windows.