Re: Agora Octave RFC: method for storing data

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Agora Octave RFC: method for storing data
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:30:01 -0500

On 29 June 2010 13:51, fork <address@hidden> wrote:
> One thing: why don't you start a github repository?

I'm working with Fotios Kasolis on something like that but
specifically tailored to Octave. It would be very nice to have a
single place where we can collect all user-contributed code for Octave
that isn't quite mature to make it into Octave-forge. I'm initially
thinking of using hg instead of git, because, well, I'm used to hg,
partly because it's what Octave itself uses, but I don't see at this
stage a problem with supporting git as well.

Anyways, if you want to help out, clone here:

     http://bitbucket.org/jordigh/agora

A screenshot for motivation:

     http://jordi.platinum.linux.pl/piccies/agora-octave.png

As to why not just use github or bitbucket themselves, well, partly
because we want to create a brand image (note that the Agora colours
are similar to the 'Forge colours) and partly because we want to have
it all in one place. There are a few other things too, for example, we
want to make the licenses quite explicit and give people the freedom
to choose whatever free license they want (although at the moment I'm
thinking that GPLv3 wil be the default, as it is Octave's own
license).

Hope this is interesting,
- Jordi G. H.