Re: Run and interface external program compiled with ICC (NOT mkoctfile!

From: Carlos222
Subject: Re: Run and interface external program compiled with ICC (NOT mkoctfile!)
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:52:35 -0700 (PDT)

>Well, the matrix operations in Octave are usually as fast or faster than
>matlab. You have to make sure that you use an optimized BLAS library, of
>course. Octave lags when your .m code uses explicit loops
>(for, while...), accessing the data element-by-element. The usual cure
>for that is rewriting the .m code to vectorize it. If you can't
>vectorize, only then you'd rewrite it in compiled language.

>You should run some speed tests for your code; use tic/toc and/or
>cputime functions to measure the speed of operations that matter to you.

Dear Przemek,
Thank you for your suggestion. I have a good experience in programing for
Matlab. For sure all my code is already vectorized.

>Octave has excellent library interface, so you can write your
>computational kernel and compile it into an Octave-loadable native
>binary module (an .oct file); you'd then write the I/O and
>pre/post-processing in the interpreted language (.m files), and then
>call out your binary computation code, passing the data into and out of it
>using Octave data API. There have been good examples of that on this
l>ist, even quite recently.

By the other hand, I dont have the same experience with compiled languages.
I am afraid that if I use the mocktave I will not be able to use some
features like the automatic parallelization present in the intel compilers.
So what is your opinion ?

Thank you again
Carlos