Re: java package breaks with Ubuntu upgrade to 10.04

From: Elliott Waldron
Subject: Re: java package breaks with Ubuntu upgrade to 10.04
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for your responses ...

Octave was installed via the package manager.  I manually installed
java-1.2.7 via "pkg install".  Running the install with verbose I discovered
that sun's javac was gone.

Here is the Ubuntu issue (from
http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java ):

"Oracle (Sun) Java Runtime Environment (JRE) has been removed from the
regular software repositories of Ubuntu 10.04. The reason: it's open source
brother OpenJDK (and the IcedTea plugin) is a good alternative, for most
people at least."

I installed OpenJDK via the package manager and then did the following to
get it working again:

1) Update the following environment variables:

export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk
export PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64

2) Create a sym-link to a client directory with the following command:

address@hidden:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/client$
sudo ln -s ../server/libjvm.so .

3) Install the java package from within octave:

octave3.2:5> pkg install ~/Downloads/java-1.2.7.tar.gz

Thanks for the help...

Elliott