Re: cellfun and parcellfun

From: Robert Patterson
Subject: Re: cellfun and parcellfun
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 09:17:23 +0100

On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 21:01 +0200, David Bateman wrote:

> > This gradually became clear from the source.  However, in
> > S 17.4 Special Utility Matrices the manual states:
> >
> > The new random generators all use a common Mersenne Twister generator,
> > and so the state of only one of the generators needs to be reset. The
> > old generator function use separate generators.
> >
> > If I understand correctly, the manual is wrong.
> >

> This was true, but since early 2008 with the changes made in the long
> discussion
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/Difference-between-Matlab-and-Octave-in-random-seeding-td1669992.html

Sorry for only reading parts of this.

> the generator now have separate states. The randlib generators also have
> separate seeds, though I'd forgotten about that. Note that the change
> was also documented in 2008
>
> http://octave.1599824.n4.nabble.com/manual-update-for-general-documentation-for-random-generators-td1671067.html
>
> so I suspect the manual you are referring to is out of date
>
> D.
I was reading the manual at
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/doc/interpreter/ , which says about
itself : "It corresponds to GNU Octave version 2.9.12+."  It does not
have the patch referred to by your second link.  Is there an better
location at which I should have looked that is not on www.gnu.org ?

Thanks

Robert