Re: download octave to windows 7

From: A Kelly
Subject: Re: download octave to windows 7
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 10:07:17 +1000

On 15/06/2010 9:46 AM, Tatsuro MATSUOKA wrote:
Hello

--- David Grundberg  wrote:

On 06/14/2010 08:57 AM, PerB wrote:
Maybe Mathilde's question is that trivial but I also have problem with Ocatve
and Windows.

I have downloaded and installed the latest Ocatve-Forge binaries
(Octave-3.2.4_i686-pc-mingw32_gcc-4.4.0_setup.exe) on both a Windows 7 and a
Windows XP (SP3) machine. Both machine were "clean", i.e. no previous
GNUplot or Octave installations present. I have not CygWin installed either.

Octave installs and I can start the Octave command line interface and the
text part and calculations seams to work OK.  But plotting do not work.

A simple

plot(1:10);
will first give a warning of obsolete function isstr and doing it a second
time will open a GNUplot window and plot a line but then the GNUplot window
hangs and becomes non responsive.

Starting GNUplot command line interface by it self (wgnuplot.exe) and do
some sample plots e.g.;

gnuplot>plot [-10:10] sin(x) )

is not a problem so the GNUplot installation seams to work OK.

Am I missing some Octave graphics drivers/DLLs/function/pacakges or what ?

Thanks,
/Per

Please reply at the bottom, it makes the thread easier to follow for others.

The problems with e.g. the oct2mat package is well-documented on the
octave-forge website.

The short reply in the previous discussion was less about the question
itself and more about the mail containing no information but "it doesn't
work".   Like whether or not the installer actually ran.  It's hard to
draw any conclusions based on nothing but opinion.

For windows version octave-3.2.4 on the octave-forge website, the way avoid to
the plot problem due to
the oct2mat package being auto loaded is documented in the following,

http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?OctaveForWindows
1. Standalone ports
  1.1. Octave 3.2.4 for Windows MinGW32
   Additional important topics found after the release:

Regards

Tatsuro

I had a similar problem with the plot window freezing. Following the advice
about oct2mat made no difference. I have not yet found a solution.
Regards,
Andrew