Re: Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h

From: bijoy
Subject: Re: Re: octave installation problem - linux/limits.h
Date: 12 Jun 2010 12:59:56 -0000

Hi All,

First of all thanks Martin for his prompt reply.

I have followed what martin has adviced me. Now I get the following error ( before coming to this error I had couple of errors which I passed following martins instructions)

octave:1> pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.9.tar.gz
/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: error: Could not run mkoctfile
the configure script returned the following error: checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile
error: called from `pkg>configure_make' in file /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1240, column 2
error: called from:
error: /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 714, column 5
error: /usr/share/octave/3.2.0/m/pkg/pkg.m at line 287, column 7

But there is no package called 'z', how can I overcome this error ?

Please help me.

Regards
Bijoy

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:54:20 +0530 wrote
>Am Samstag, 12. Juni 2010 07:20:48 schrieb bijoy:

> Hi all,

> I installed lapack as mentioned by Andy,

> Now the error shifted to fftw3

> ==========================

> octave:1> pkg install miscellaneous-1.0.9.tar.gz

> /usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.3/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:

> cannot find -lfftw3 collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

> configure: error: Could not run mkoctfile

> error: the configure script returned the following error: checking for

> gcc... gcc checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out

> checking for suffix of executables...

> checking for mkoctfile... mkoctfile

> error: called from `pkg:configure_make' in file

> /usr/share/octave/3.0.2/m/pkg/pkg.m near line 1235, column 2

> ========================

> But I have installed fftw3 already, I do not know why octave complains that

> fftw3 could not be found.

> Is there any problem with 64-bit installation of octave ?

> Please help me.

> Regards

> Bijoy

There is no problem with 64 opensuse bit and octave. It is in general

necessary to install the devel packages if you want to compile something (and

this is what happens when you use the pkg command in octave - something will

be compiled)

So if you have fftw3 installed you also need fftw3-devel

sudo zypper in fftw3-devel

from the command line (or use yast if you like to do it with the gui).

If there then a similar error with a different package while compiling later,

do the same for the missing package install the -devel which belongs to it.

- mh