re: compile problems

From: Tommy Guy
Subject: re: compile problems
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:04:09 -0400

On having compile problems with Octave on Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit, I got this advice:

| Try the following:
| "mv /bin/sh /bin/sh_old && ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh"
| and then compile octave.

This did in fact work, and it seems that there is something in the
bash script that is not accepted in the dash shell (Ubuntu standard).
My hunch is something to do with +=, but that is a guess based on the
fact that that is what broke.

I am not sure what changes in dash from 8.10 to 9.10 caused this error
to manifest, but this can not be a long term solution.

Do all relevant scripts in the source have #/bin/bash as a shebang
line?  Would probably fix this problem without being so heavy handed.

For the record, after compile, I quickly reverted back to the standard shell!

Richard T. Guy