cellfun and parcellfun

From: Robert Patterson
Subject: cellfun and parcellfun
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 18:24:03 +0100

Hi,

I am writing some Monte Carlo simulation code.  The problem can be
broken down via domain decomposition (several different sub-problems
that only need to communicate occasionally).  I am implementing this
decomposition via cellfun, in order to avoid writing explicit loops.  I
hope to parallelise with parcellfun from the general package on
octaveforge.

Assuming I can reseed the random number generator with the same values
each time I run a calculation:

1. Will I get the same random number at each point in my code when using
cellfun as I would with a simple loop, or is the order at least stable
on any one implementation?

2. Is it safe to use parcellfun with the built in random number
generator?

Thanks

Robert Patterson