Re: interactions with OOffice graphs ?

From: CdeMills
Subject: Re: interactions with OOffice graphs ?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 00:17:06 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the very sensefull replies. To go further into the reflexions, the
original problem was that I produced a graph from some data, exported it as
SVG, send it to my boss, who incorporated it into a presentation, viewed it
using retro-projection (beamer) and came back saying 'the lines are too
thin, the font is too small, ...' I had to select each element one-by-one
and change the properties accordingly. The original problem was that the
rendering was OK for PC screen, but not for beamer.

To theorise a bit, they are many parts in a graph:
- the data
- the operations to draw lines, scales, axes, labels, ...
- the rendering, which should take into account the final media: paper,
computer screen, beamer

As of today, data are handled by octave, formatting by gnuplot using the
plot command, and rendering by gnuplot too using the print command. Inside
octave, graphics are handled in a object-oriented way, each operation
returns a handle which may be latter reused to modify specific properties.
What I'm dreaming of is some way to load and save TOGETHER data and graphs
objects, and be able to re-use them inside octave, but also inside
OpenOffice. Also, a graph EDITOR, meaning you can browse objects and change
their properties on-the-fly would be a great thing.

So basically I love to work inside octave and produce graphs with octave,
but I would like to have a better integration, or a smoother path, between
the environment where I manipulate and visualise data, and the environment
where I produce reports and presentations.

Any idea ? Any existing implementation ?

Regards

Pascal