Re: Creating "Pretty" Report from Octave

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: Creating "Pretty" Report from Octave
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 10:14:13 -0500

2010/6/8 Ian Journeaux <address@hidden>:
> LaTeX may be the answer but it is a very different paradigm than I
> am use to so, as you indicate the learning curve may be high.

LaTeX is different from a word processor (focus on structure and
content, not presentation or formatting), but it's the standard method
to generate scientific and mathematical documents. It takes about a
day of dedicated effort to get started with it, but it's a very
worthwhile investment. Begin with the Not-So-Short Introduction to
LaTeX:

     http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

If you're in a big rush and just need to produce two pages of printed
output, you may find it more comfortable to simply paste your results
into whatever you're familiar with and manually process them instead.

> I am not sure I would have use beyond this project.

If you don't plan to ever again write mathematics or science, you may
be correct. Otherwise, the payoff for learning it will soon be
evident. There's lots of examples of LaTeX in the source of Wikipedia
mathematical pages between <math> tags, for example. Beware that like
the rest of Wikipedia, not all of them may be good examples, though.
;-)

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.