Re: Disabling dangerous commands

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Disabling dangerous commands
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 22:41:39 -0400

On  3-Jun-2010, Thomas Karpiniec wrote:

| Sorry for the delay in responding -- I've been trying out your various
| ideas. I think I now have everything I need to solve this problem.
|
| Basic restrictions:
|
| - Commands can be disabled by setting up dummy .m files to obscure
|   built-ins and by also disabling commands which manipulate the path.

I guess you have also disabled the function "builtin"?  At least in
the current development version of Octave, I see the following
behavior:

  octave:1> function path () 'foobar' end
  octave:2> path
  ans = foobar
  octave:3> builtin ('path')

  Octave's search path contains the following directories:

  .

But really, I think this is the wrong approach to take.  You will also
break any of the Octave functions that use any of the set of functions
you've disabled.

jwe