Unresponsive figure windows

From: A Kelly
Subject: Unresponsive figure windows
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 17:27:20 +1000

I'm running Octave 3.2.4 (MinGW) which comes with gnupolot Version 4.4 (patchlevel 0 octave-mingw32). All on Windows XP.

If I start gnuplot from MSYS and type "plot sin(x)" the resulting window responds to mouse movements (by changing the coordinates in the bottom left of the window). It also allows zooming (by selecting with the right-mouse button). So far, so good.

However, my Octave figure windows do not respond in this way. If I start the Octave interpreter and type "figure" at octave prompt I get a figure window. But, moving my mouse around within it has no effect on the coordinates in the bottom left of the window.

As well, the Octave window appearance differs from the one in the gnuplot example. The gnuplot window has a toolbar. The Octave window does not. I can make the Octave window look the same as the gnuplot one by defining the GNUTERM environment variable to be "wxt", but I stll can't zoom in the Octave window and its coordinates do not respond to mouse movements.

Can anyone please suggest why I'm getting different behaviour between gnuplot and Octave and how I can make the Octave windows more responsive.