Re: Using OpenCV in Octave for Windows

From: Benjamin Lindner
Subject: Re: Using OpenCV in Octave for Windows
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 08:31:27 +0200

> Hello,
>
> I would like to use the OpenCV library from Octave on a Windows platform.
> Apparently, bindings do exist but are not maintained well. I have installed
> Octave 3.2.4 as part of the cygwin package and I have installed the OpenCV
> 2.1 library. However, this does not seem to suffice.

Merely installing a library does not make it available to octave.
You will need to write functions that actually call code from this library.
This is what many octave-forge packages do (e.g. the GSL package which provides
an octave interface to routines in the gsl library)

So if there is an octave package that acts as OpenCV bindings, you'll
additionally need to install this package (in addition to the OpenCV library
itself).

Installing such a package could be done using
  pkg install path-and-name-to-package
or (probably) require manual compilation. For further advise here we'll need to
have more information on OpenCV and how you propose to use it.

> Is it necessary to compile either Octave or OpenCV (or both) from the
> sources to get it to work?

No and No. You'll need the development part (i.e. headers and import libraries)
for both octave and opencv. And the same goes for all libraries OpenCV depends
upon.

> Is there an installer that will do the necessary
> magic?

The mingw32 octave installer provides the octave development tools.
For the cygwin version I guess that you'll need to also instell the -dev
package.

> Are there certain files that I have to place in certain directories?
> Which environment variables do I have to set?

Maybe :)
Depends heavily on the actual case-under-test

> I would appreciate any help you can offer. I already searched the archives
> for this list as well as the OpenCV forum but without luck so far.

Can you provide more details? Where did you get OpenCV from?
What did you already try?

benjamin