Re: Disabling dangerous commands

From: Thomas Karpiniec
Subject: Re: Disabling dangerous commands
Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 00:20:41 +1000

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 09:51:41PM +1000, Thomas Karpiniec wrote:
> I'm trying to come up with a way of disabling commands such as
> system(), fopen(), plot(), dlmwrite(), etc., which can spawn
> subprocesses or interact with the rest of the system.

Ah! A flash of inspiration. A thread not so long ago had a case of
disabling certain commands by deleting their m-file
implementations. Turning that around a bit, the built-ins can be
overridden...

I have just tested placing a dummy system.m containing "1;" in
/usr/share/octave/3.2.3/m/time -- that now appears to prevent access
to the original system(). Are there are any other ways of getting at
the original commands which wouldn't be affected by this?

Regards,

Tom