RE: A single instance of octave to run..

From: Richardson, Anthony
Subject: RE: A single instance of octave to run..
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:59:25 -0500

If working under Linux, you could have octave read input
from a FIFO (named pipe):

  mkfifo  octaveinput
  tail -f octaveinput | octave -q --persist >& /dev/null &
  cat script1 > octaveinput
  echo 'drawnow;' > octaveinput
  cat script2 > octaveinput
  echo 'drawnow;' > octaveinput

I am assuming that you are using octave just to produce plots.  If you
are interested in text results from octave don't redirect octave
output to /dev/null and don't run octave in the background.  You would
then need to cat the scripts to octaveinput from another terminal.
The 'tail -f' above is necessary to keep the pipe open.  The
'drawnow' commands are necessary to make the plots appear.
You can echo a 'quit' command into octaveinput

You could do something similar using netcat to send/receive octave
scripts over TCP ports and then pipe into octave.  There is a version
of netcat for Windows.

Tony

For