invoking the correct memory management from C files

From: Peter L. Soendergaard
Subject: invoking the correct memory management from C files
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:04:16 +0200

Hi,

I have created octave-interfaces for the LTFAT project. The interfaces
call the C functions in the LTFAT library. The C functions use a
function like the following to do memory management:

void* ltfat_malloc (size_t n)
{
  void *outp;
  outp = fftw_malloc(n);
  if (outp == NULL)
  {
     puts("ltfat_malloc failed.");
     exit(1);
  }
  return outp;
}

For the Matlab Mex interfaces I use another straightforward definition:

void* ltfat_malloc(size_t n)
{
  return mxMalloc(n);
}

How do I best define ltfat_malloc and friends for use with Octave?

Currently, I call the FFTW functions. Technically, the source file
containing ltfat_malloc is not part of the C-library, so it could be a
C++ file using 'extern "C"' linkage.

Cheers,

Peter.