Re: The new Octave 3.2.4 MinGW32 and gnuplot issues

From: Olaf Till
Subject: Re: The new Octave 3.2.4 MinGW32 and gnuplot issues
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:34:28 +0200

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 02:05:30PM -0700, Søren Hauberg wrote:
> I would pity the Octave developer that couldn't use '#' for comments,
> 'endfor' for ending loops and so forth. On the rare occasions where I
> have to use Matlab I always and up yelling not-so-nice words to the
> computer because it doesn't support the most basic syntax.

That's just what I feel when I have to write ml-compatible Octave
code. Then I wish to leave the compatibility-task to a converting tool
(even if it should not be able to produce well-readable code). But (I
know it's a bit unrelated to your discussion), the biggest advantages
of Octave-specific syntax IMO are: 1. indexing possible where ml says
'indexing of temporary variable not possible', 2. assignments have a
value, 3. C-like operators like += . All these are not handled by
oct2mat, so oct2mat does not help so very much in the current state;
and I'd guess adding the handling of these points would be difficult
and would need a great effort.

Just my 2 cents. Olaf