Re: The new Octave 3.2.4 MinGW32 and gnuplot issues

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: The new Octave 3.2.4 MinGW32 and gnuplot issues
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 16:46:23 -0400

On 22-Apr-2010, S ren Hauberg wrote:

| I think it is part of Octave-Forge because many Octave users have to
| collaborate with Matlab users. So, when you send code to Matlab users it
| is nice to have some tools to help ensure that the code runs in
| Matlab.

So, write your code so that it can run in either system.

Is it not intended to allow Octave Forge functions to be converted so
they can be used in Matlab?  If so, I think that is the wrong thing to
be encouraging.

| Personally, I do not have this issue (I just tell people to use Octave
| if they want to use my code), but not everybody is in this situation.

At the very least, the package should be fixed so that the .m files
that shadow functions from Octave are never installed with Octave,
since they are apparently intended to replace some Octave functions
that are commonly used and that are not present in Matlab.  They are
of no use with Octave itself, since Octave already provides those
functions.

jwe