Re: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 06:31:47 +0200

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Miguel Bazdresch <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What is the best way to create interactive GUI apps with octave? For
> example, I would like to have a window with three sliders controlling
> the amplitude, frequency and phase of a cosine that is plotted below
> the sliders. The purpose would be to make visually attractive demos
> for my students.
>
> So far, I have come up with these options:
>
> * create a C++ application using octave as a library, and a C++ GUI
> package such as Qt
> * use gtk-server (http://www.gtk-server.org/)
> * a couple of old and apparently unmaintained projects I found with
> google, such as octave-gtk and octave-fltk

* make a gui app in Python (with one of those dozens of Python GUI
toolkits) and embed Octave using Pytave
(https://launchpad.net/pytave). Pytave uses NumPy so you'd be able to
actually mix Octave with SciPy pretty easily.

Note, however, that if you want to do the plotting via Octave, there's
probably no way to attach buttons to the plot windows.

hth

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD
computing expert & GNU Octave developer