Re: Same .m file: different results with different versions of Octave

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Same .m file: different results with different versions of Octave
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 21:05:31 -0400

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Thomas Weber
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What makes you think it's not fixed? On my system, the code works as
> expected. Did you compile the upstream libc yourself? Have you verified
> that you are actually running GNU libc and not eglibc?

I didn't have any improvement with the development trunks of either
glibc or eglibc on karmic, so something else must be going on, or I'm
doing it wrong (probable). What version did you use and how did you
compile it?

This is what I did:

> CFLAGS="-O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -fno-stack-protector" ../configure
> --prefix=/tmp/glibc.out
> make
> make install

and tested using

LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/glibc.out/lib/libm.so ldd ./trig
LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/glibc.out/lib/libm.so ldd ./test_tanh
LD_PRELOAD=/tmp/glibc.out/lib/libm.so ldd octave

to verify the new libraries were used and then ran by omitting the the
"ldd". (Similar with the eglibc source).

When you say "the code works as expected" are you referring to
perseu.as's original octave script, Thomas Dean's trig.cc, or the C++
test cases from the 2005 bug report? All of those fail for me with
using the development trunks of glibc and eglibc. Any suggestions?

--judd