Re: Build Problem on SLES 10.3

From: Jaroslav Hajek
Subject: Re: Build Problem on SLES 10.3
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 07:56:26 +0200

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Jones, Donald E
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I am trying to build octave on SLES 10.3. Running into two problems. I am
> building 3.2.4 using gcc 4.1.2.
>
> 1. If I do not include HDF5, the build passes all tests (except for Qhull and
> ImageMagick, which are not yet installed). However, if I include HDF5
> (v1.8.4) the make check fails as follows:

>  ***** assert(log2(complex(0,Inf)), Inf + log2(i));
> !!!!! test failed
> assert (log2 (complex (0, Inf)),Inf + log2 (i)) expected
> Inf + 2.266i
> but got
> Inf - NaNi
> NaNs don't match

This is typically a bug in the complex division (i.e. a gcc bug). It
may depend on optimization flags.

> 2. I cannot get it to locate blas/lapack. I have atlas installed, plus Intel
> MKL 11.1. SLES 10.3 does not include generic libblas and liblapack. I have
> tried all combinations of ./configure -with-blas=, but cannot find blas. Will
> octave only link to the generic libblas and liblapack?

Surely not, I'm routinely linking with GotoBLAS and with Intel MKL
without problems. Note that with-blas can only specify the name of the
library, but if it's installed in a non-standard location (i.e. one
not registered in ldconfig), you also need to specify proper compiler
and link flags to be able to link to the library. Details depend on
your installation, but generally you need to include -L<path> in
LDFLAGS, and possibly -Wl,-rpath=<path> if you're OK with hard-wired
paths (an alternative is LD_LIBRARY_PATH or symbolic links in
/usr/local/lib).

hth

--
RNDr. Jaroslav Hajek, PhD