Re: Error installing octave 3.2.4

From: Judd Storrs
Subject: Re: Error installing octave 3.2.4
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:47:36 -0400

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Stefan Neumann <address@hidden> wrote:
> What I want to address are the very real and time-consuming difficulties you
> encounter when you start fresh at building octave. And maybe help some other
> newbie save himself a few days of frustration.

I'm sorry for the tone of the response you're getting. The thing is
that *Ubuntu* caused this problem but we've already been through
months of people coming on the list and complaining that octave is
messed up. The debian packagers do a wonderful job. octave-3.2 made a
lot of changes over 3.0 but was released after the 9.04 repositories
were cloned. The octave people get touchy when you blame them about
things they cannot control. Back when this was going down some of us
even tried to figure out how to get updated 3.2 into the 9.04
repositories or set up a ppa. At a certain point I just gave up trying
to decipher which of the debian packaging documentation applies and
which doesn't for ubuntu--maybe the documentation is better now.

I've concluded that octave on ubuntu is managed by robots/scripts so
we're on our own. Karmic came out and it is much better. I think a ppa
would be good, but I don't know how to do that. I missed the start of
this thread or I would have jumped in earlier. Sorry.

--judd