Re: Saving graphic objects to file?

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: Saving graphic objects to file?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:13:14 -0700

ons, 14 04 2010 kl. 10:39 +0200, skrev Tribo Laboy:
> Just a question, are we aiming at Matlab compatibility at the
> level of FIG files or not? I can see how it could be helpful to send
> someone on Matlab a FIG file so he can open and edit it. But because
> even Matlab has sometimes problems opening FIG files created by
> different versions it may be not worth the effort. What do you think?

I think .fig files can just be opened with the 'load' function. However,
they seem to require various internal classes from Matlab to actually
load, so it's probably not an easy task to get full compatibility. I
would say it should be enough to implement 'handle2struct' and
'struct2handle' as this allows you to save figures and open them in both
Octave and Matlab. If you say Matlab itself has problems opening .fig
files, then I guess Matlab users should be told to just use
'handle2struct' and 'struct2handle' as well.

Søren