Re: sprank

From: Jason Martin
Subject: Re: sprank
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:10:13 -0400

Ulrich,

I think the whole issue is:

snip:
You are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or forwarding of this
end snip:

The way it is written, it does NOT imply legal action.  It reads that you are not allowed to do anything with the message other reading it.  I see two issues with the disclaimer, and as such two reasons for irritation from the group.

1) It doesn't make sense.
and
2)It takes up alot of space on a mailing list that doesn't need to propagate that disclaimer over and over and over and over.

Hopefully the discussion has not turned off the original poster to Octave.

It is still a helpful one as we will be able to discuss how to approach these disclaimers.  I think a simple reply of: "Please send any email to this list without a legal disclaimer from now on." : would suffice. But then again maybe I am just being more tolerant, I don't know.

As far as what some court would act upon...   Yes, there are court cases here in the United States of America that settle disputes for trivial matters and ofter times for amounts less than $10 US.  Stupid I agree, but in the USA there is a "I'll sue you for just looking at me wrong" attitude.