Re: Compiling an old version with an old compiler

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Compiling an old version with an old compiler
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:09:31 -0400

On 10-Apr-2010, spasmous wrote:

| Either would be fine - all users or just myself.

Why don't you install a current version of GCC and use that to build a
current version of Octave?  You can install GCC and all the Octave
build dependencies in your own private directory.  You don't need to
be root for any of that.  It will take a fair amount of disk space,
but you can download and build the pieces one at a time if needed.

I'm assuming that the reason you say that you have to use GCC 3.3.x is
because you don't have root on the system, or you can't upgrade the
default compiler on the system for some reason.  If there is some
other reason that you must use GCC 3.3.x and that you must compile and
old version of Octave, please enlighten us.

BTW, if everything on that system is of the same vintage as your copy
of GCC, I hope it is not directly connected to the interwebs...

jwe