Struct arrays, column names, syntactic sugar...

From: forkandwait
Subject: Struct arrays, column names, syntactic sugar...
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 16:50:23 +0000 (UTC)

Is there a way to reference groups of fields in a struct array by name?

For example, consider A:

          A = cell2struct ({'Peter', 'Hannah', 'Robert';
                            185, 170, 168},
                          {'Name','Height'}, 1);
          A(1)

We can do A(1) and get Peter's data, or we could do [A(:).Name] and (sort of)
get a list of names (though I would like a column of text rather than a
concatenated row), but it would be super awesome to also be able to do something
like

A(1:2).(Name,Age)

and get a 2 x 2 cell array with the appropriate data.

Any thoughts?  Are there common tricks to do this?

The ONLY thing I miss about R is being able to reference heterogeneous data
through lists of column names....

Tx