Re: Difference between NaN and NA?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Difference between NaN and NA?
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:07:51 +0200

On Apr 9, 2010, at 7:44 AM, Søren Hauberg wrote:

> So, I guess my basic question is: is it even possible to create a class
> that deals with NaN's (or NA's) entirely behind the users back?

I did not fully understand everything in previous discussion of the technical
details about what might be changed in Octave and how to do it. However, I have
a clear opinion (if not a wish and hope) on the above question: I (the user)
would like to keep control over how NaN and NA values are treated. I prefer
doing checks on the existence of NaN or NA values in my data, and explicitly
treat these values the way I want. No black magic, please! Why not just leave
things as they are?

Matthias