Difference between NaN and NA?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Difference between NaN and NA?
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 08:13:25 +0200

Dear all

What is the difference between NaN and NA? I guess there are "different"
differences, like technical aspects related to the internal programming of
Octave (or its commercial counterpart), but also related to conventions
when/how to use NaN or NA.

I tend to not use NA, and use NaN instead in more or less all situations where
a variable does not contain a true numerical value. I do this mainly because I
don't now the difference between the two and therefore decided not to mix them.
However, I suspect it might be useful to use both in a somehow meaningful
manner. I'd therefore like to know in which situations you'd use NaN rather
than NA (and vice versa).

Matthias

----
Matthias Brennwald, Käferholzstrasse 173, CH-8046 Zürich, +41 44 364 17 03